Q.1: Select the most appropriate meaning of the given idiom.
Actions speak louder than words.
- Take up a task that you cannot finish.
- What you do is more important than what you say
- Do something without planning
- Look for solutions in the wrong place
Q.2: Select the correct active form of the given sentence.
The crop was adversely affected by the inadequate rainfall.
- The adversely rainfall has affected the inadequate crop.
- The inadequate rainfall was adversely affecting the crop.
- The inadequate rainfall adversely affected the crop.
- The inadequate crop adversely affected the rainfall.
Q.3: Select the antonym of the given word.
Q.4: Given below are four jumbled sentences. Select the option that gives their correct order.
- And 844 million don;t have access to clean water close to home, according to the latest report Water Aid.
- Around 4 billion people in the world live in physically water – scarce areas.
- It is because globally we use six times as much water today as we did 100 years ago.
- The world’s water crisis is getting worse.
Q.5: Select the word which means the same as the group of words given.
A person who draws or produces maps.
Q.6: Select the word which means the same as the group of words given.
A cylindrical container bulging out in the middle, traditionally made of wooden staves for keeping oil, beer etc.
Q.(7 – 11) : In the following passage some words have been deleted. Fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given. Select the most appropriate option for each blank.
Eager to control the South Atlantic, British Navy has tasked Admiral Byron (7) settling an island off the South American Coast (8) ships could resupply, and then finding an alternative (9) to the East Indies. After rounding the tip of South America, Admiral Byron confronted the world’s (10) body of water: the endless Pacific Ocean. After a month of empty blue horizon, a tiny island (11) Byron joyously described the island’s “beautiful appearance – surrounded by a beach of the finest white sand and covered with tall trees.”
Correct option for (7) …
Correct option for (8) …
Correct option for (9) …
Correct option for (10) …
- more larger
Correct option for (11) …
- came out
Q.12: Select the most appropriate option to substitute the underlined segment in the given sentence. If no substitution is required, select No improvement.
If I have money, I purchase this house.
- I purchased
- No improvement
- I have purchased
- I will purchase
Q.13: Select the most appropriate meaning of the given idiom.
Pull someone’s leg.
- Trust someone
- Joke with someone
- Get upset with someone
- Tell someone a secret
Q.14: Select the most appropriate word to fill in the blank.
A number of Indian good face a _____ competition from Chinese good in terms of prices and looks.
Q.15: Select the most appropriate option to substitute the underlined segment in the given sentence. If no substitution is required, select No improvement.
She read that novel since she got up in the morning.
- No improvement
- has been reading that novel
- reads that novel
- has read that novel
Q.16: Select the most appropriate word to fill in the blank.
Many items made of ivory were ___ from a dealer in antiques by the custom authorities at the Delhi airport.
Q.17: In the sentence identify the segment which contains the grammatical error.
She lost a big order from a known showroom in case of her own carelessness.
- in case of
- her own carelessness
- She lost a big order
- from a known showroom
Q.18: Select the synonym of the given word.
Q.19: Select the wrongly spelt word.
Q.20: Select the synonym of the given word.
Q.21: Select the correct passive form of the given sentence.
Please show me my son’s Mathematics notebook.
- I will please be shown my son’s Mathematics notebook.
- I may please be shown my son’s Mathematics notebook.
- My son’s Mathematics notebook was please shown to me.
- My son may please be shown the Mathematics notebook.
Q.22: Select the wrongly spelt word.
Q.23 : Select the antonym of the given word.
Q.24: In the sentence identify the segment which contains the grammatical error.
Torrential rains and winds of upto 170 km per hour swept away roads, homes and bridges and knocking down power and communication lines.
homes and bridges
swept away roads
winds of upto
Q.25 :Given below are four jumbled sentences. Select the option that gives their correct order.
- An estimated 70% of this plastic which enters the sea sinks.
- This is a problem that stretches far beyond India.
- Eight million tonnes of plastic ends up in the world’s oceans every year, causing damage to the fragile ecosystem.
- And much of it is not biodegradable.