Directions (1-5): In the following passage some words have been deleted. Fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given. Select the most appropriate option for each blank.
During the reign of Aurangzeb, the last of the Mughals, there…..(1)…..revolts against the empire. …..(2)…..were the revolts of the Marathas, the Sikhs, the Jats and….. (3)…..others. After the death of Aurangzeb, the Mughal empire began to….(4)…..fairly fast. The country soon…..(5)…..into smaller territories many of which became more or less independent.
Correct option for (1)
(a) have been
Correct option for (2)
Correct option for (3)
Correct option for (4)
Correct option for (5)
(a) broke in
(b) broke off
(c) broke out
(d) broke up
6. In the sentence identify the segment which contains the grammatical error.
The Japanese artist Yoh Nagao was busy splashing the wall from colours.
(a) splashing the wall
(b) was busy
(c) from colours
(d) The Japanese artist
7. Select the correct passive form of the given sentence.
Please take the guest to his room on the 6th floor.
(a) The guest should be took to his room on the 6h floor.
(b) You are requested to take the guest to his room on the 6th floor.
(c) You must take the guest to his room on the 6th floor.
(d) Let the guest be taking to his room on the 6th floor.
8. Select the most appropriate option to substitute the underlined segment in the given sentence. If no substitution is required, select No improvement.
His school was 7 km away from his house. I wondered how he covered so long distance daily on foot.
(a) so long the distance
(b) No improvement
(c) such long distance
(d) such a long distance
9. Select the most appropriate word to fill in the blank.
India is the second largest…………….of cotton in the world.
10. Select the word which means the same as the group of words given.
A large, deep pot used both in the oven and as a serving vessel
11. Given below are four jumbled sentences. Select the option that gives their correct order.
A. Since then Boeing has received over 5,000 orders for the aircraft and has delivered 371 to date.
B. The Max first started flying commercially in 2017.
C. Boeing had huge hopes for its 737 Max aircraft and viewed it as a key part of its future.
D. However, the company’s market value has plummeted by nearly $26 billion since the crash in Ethiopia.
12. Select the word which means the same as the group of words given.
Flowers or leaves woven together in a circle for placing on a coffin or a grave.
13. In the sentence identify the segment which contains the grammatical error.
The Doon Valley with all its lights look beautiful at night from the top of the mountain.
(a) look beautiful
(b) from the top
(c) at night
(d) with all its lights
14. Select the correct active form of the given sentence.
The chairs were being arranged in the examination hall by the staff.
(a) The chairs were arranging the staff in the examination hall.
(b) The staff was arranging the chairs in the examination hall.
(C) The staff has been arranging the chairs in the examination hall.
(d) The staff has arranged the chairs in the examination hall.
15. Select the antonym of the given word.
16. Select the wrongly spelt word.
17. Select the synonym of the given word.
18. Select the most appropriate meaning of the given idiom.
19. Select the most appropriate meaning of the given idiom.
Lend an ear
(a) To pay attention to
(b) To not make trouble
(c) To force someone to listen
(d) To not tell someone something
20. Select the wrongly spelt word.
21. Select the most appropriate option to substitute the underlined segment in the given sentence. If on substitution is required, select No improvement.
We can’t live without water, will we?
(a) won’t we
(b) can we
(c) do we
(d) No improvement
22. Select the synonym of the given word.
23. Select the antonym of the given word.
24. Select the most appropriate word to fill in the blank.
The company management is of the opinion that not wearing a suit and tie at the workplace could create a bad…. .on clients.
25. Given below are four jumbled sentences. Select the option that gives their correct order.
A. It has been a leading producer of both industrial and agricultural goods.
B. The Untied States of America holds a dominant position in the world because of its high economic development.
C. Because of its enormous output, the United States has a major share in world trade.
D It is also a leader in the development and application of innovative technology.